Think you might have mould in your home or place of business?

Don’t worry, DSC can help. With our infra red cameras, boroscopes, and moisture meters, we can quickly and accurately find actively growing mould and moisture hidden within the walls of your home or business. Give DSC a call now because prompt action will keep a minor problem from becoming a major one.

DSC is a full service restoration company with certified mould remediation technicians to provide you with the highest quality service that is both reliable and affordable. Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Our services include mould inspection and assessment, scope of work and recommendations, remediation and prevention, air quality testing and clearance.

What is mould?

Moulds are microscopic fungi that are highly adapted to grow and produce rapidly. When found growing in the home, quick response is critical. They digest whatever they grow on in order to survive. There are moulds that grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation, while other moulds feast on the everyday dust and dirt that gather in the moist regions of a home.

Mould can be harmful or helpful depending on where it grows. While some forms of mould are actually useful in their role in the production of food, beverages, and antibiotics, the common moulds seen in most home or work environments are a nuisance at best and a catastrophe at worst.

Should I remove the mould myself or do I need a contractor?

To be honest, small areas of mould (10 square feet or less) can be removed by the average homeowner. However, the homeowner needs to be cautious when removing mold themselves. For example, removal of drywall can lead to a massive release of spores if there is mold growing on the backside of the wallboard. Caution should also be used to prevent mould and mould spores from being dispersed throughout the air where they can be inhaled by occupants. If you believe that you may have a mould problem, give DSC a call 587.352.HELP. Let us inspect your problem and give you some recommendations on its remediation.

I noticed some mould growing in my home, how did it get there?

Mould spores are found everywhere, inside the home and outside. Just by entering and exiting your home or by opening a window for some fresh air will bring mould spores into your home. The fact that you notice mould growing in your home indicates that there is a moisture problem. When excessive moisture or water accumulates indoors, mould growth often will occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains uncorrected. A mould spore could land on literally any surface in your home and when it receives the right condition, it will start growing. The spore finds a food source and moisture which all mould needs to grow. The food source can be dust, or basically anything that is organic and the moisture can come from a water intrusion, a dripping pipe or simply high humidity within the home. It is almost impossible to control the food source but we can control the moisture level to prevent mould from growing.

How can it affect me and my family? Should I / we get out?

Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and, in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mould or mould spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mould are common and can be immediate or delayed. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mould. In addition, mould exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mould-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mould. Research on mould and health effects is ongoing. If you or members of your family are experiencing symptoms of mould exposure, contact your physician immediately. Let your doctor help you in your decision as to whether you should stay or vacate the premises.

How do I get rid of it?

It is impossible to get rid of all mould and mould spores indoors; some mould spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mould spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mould growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mould growth in your home, you must clean up the mould and fix the moisture problem. If you clean up the mould, but don't fix the moisture problem, then most likely the mould problem will come back. While it is impossible to eliminate all moulds and mould spores, controlling moisture can control indoor mould growth.

The key to mould control is moisture control.

  • Scrub mould off hard surfaces with detergent and water and dry completely.
  • Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. Dry all items completely.
  • Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become mouldy. Mould can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials so the mould may be difficult or impossible to remove completely.
  • Avoid exposing yourself or others to mould.
  • Do not paint or caulk mouldy surfaces. Clean up the mould and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied over mouldy surfaces is likely to peel.

If you are unsure about how to clean an item, or if the item is expensive or of sentimental value, you may wish to consult a specialist. Specialists in furniture repair, restoration, painting, art restoration and conservation, carpet and rug cleaning, water damage, and fire or water restoration are commonly listed in phone books. Be sure to ask for and check references. Look for specialists who are affiliated with professional organizations.

- Top -